10.25.2008

Jiffy Popped


So one of my favorite past time treats is the Jiffy Pop that you buy and it looks like a little pan and you cook it on the stove top...... I really wouldn't be surprised if you had no idea what I was talking about because I don't think I know more than a couple of people in all of my acquaintance that have ever opted to pop there corn using this particular method.

Well, hats off to the people that don't feel the need to have fresh stovetop popped pop corn. Turns out this little nostalgic treat of mine is quite the fire hazard.

Picture if you will, Me and the bump getting our Jiffy swerve on. You have to shake the pan in a circular position on top of the burner while the corn is popping. While you are preforming this mini olympic event your whole body follows suit, hence the Jiffy swerve.

When the corn starts finally starts to pop it gets a little intimidating because what was once a flat, frying-pan like object is now all of a sudden imploding into a tin-foil balloon full of hot sizzling corn, all of this over medium high heat. That is the normal procedure

Well, to make a long story a little shorter my pan must have been flawed.  The foil bubble began to rise and before I even knew it the bottom of it burst open and the corn flew in all directions including onto the scorching hot burner which then proceeded to ignite into flame.

Luckily as I stood there helpless with my Jiffy pan still in hand Kenny came the rescue and beat the flames down with a dish towel.






3 comments:

St. Provo Girl said...

Nice panel pants w your jiffy. I didn't even know they still made it in the little pan. You are odd.....

l.g. mcfifi said...

The thought of you swerving makes me laugh. I remeber those but have not seen them forever

Unknown said...

Good to see you and thanks for finding me.