11.30.2010

Au Gratitude Finale



30


It started with a blind date.
One date and I knew.
I even told my Mom I knew.
Was I happy to have found
the person I was supposed to
spend the rest of the eternities with?
Not even close.
I was totally irritated!
Because I already had a plan.
The wheels were in motion.

Let's back up.

Did anyone out there have a list of (rather fickle) characteristics  
that they DID NOT want in a spouse.  Here were a few of mine.

I will never marry a person from Idaho.
I will never marry a person who likes Star Wars.
I will never marry a person who likes Depeche Mode.

(Aren't I a genuine soul? A real deep thinker.)

 This kid was so far from where I had my compass set.
He just happened to embody all of the above mentioned quirks.
But I knew.
So of course I had no choice.
I fought the system.

I was laboring to become a better version of someone else
for someone else because I couldn't accept the actual truth.
That there was someone who 
loved me for exactly who I really was.

I am very grateful I figured it out.


Grateful you over looked my shortsightedness. 


Grateful for a better plan than the one I had in mind.


Grateful you picked me too.
Love you.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So stinkin' sweet! LOL I love it! Is that a Provo High Basketball picture behind the 2 of you?!?!? I remember that like it was yesterday!

P.S. I too knew that I was going to end up marrying my husband after one date.... lol I knew the moment he kissed me (yep, on the first date) that I was in trouble because he was the one I was going to marry and my current boyfriend was NOT going to be happy about that considering he thought that we were going to end up getting married.... good times :o)

Lisa said...

That's sweet.

I like the matching shirts in the family pic.

I'm sad your 30 is up. Good one to end on.

[Morgan] said...

and now look at the two of you. with the most crazy handsome boy i've ever seen.

where was that proposal? and why do i recognize it, but not recognize it?

l.g. mcfifi said...

I married a guy from Idaho who also likes Star Was and Depeche Mode... funny.... Sorry if you thought I was a stalker tonight on the phone, I just saw it was Ollies bday and wanted to send some love...

Ashley Thalman said...

I like this.