Lately there has only been one
word to really describe my mental state.
LISTLESS
Actually there are lots of words to describe
my current condition, but that seems the most apropos.
I have had the winter gag-me-nots.
And a deep, chesty, cough that is determined to become part of my genetic make-up.
But last night for no particular reason, something lit a fire under me.
It was this.
A closer look?
Let me explain.
We had a blizzard a week or so ago.
And because Chicago is a tightly packed area with
very little room for such an excess of snow, a lot of cars become
walled in by it.
So, post blizzard if you want to go anywhere you have to spend a good amount of
time and calories digging yourself out.
After you return from your tryst it is quite possible
that all of your work is now benefiting someone else's vehicle.
It is a sad story. But it is the reality of street parking.
Now, it appears that there is some kind of etiquette in place that says you can save
your spot with a dirty lawn chair or plastic grocery crate.
(ya know, like saving seats for the 4th of July parade)
People seem to abide by this standard. Fine. Whatever. I don't drive that much.
But, some people choose to abuse this social courtesy by claiming spots
that perhaps they didn't dig out of.
Enter EXIBIT A.
The orange cone man.
This is a view from my window.
Last night I was witness to his sly routine of
coming home stashing the sign in his trunk and stowing the cone beneath his car.
It awoke such a rage in me as I have not seen since they
did away with the Juniper Breeze scented lotion at Victoria Secret.
He did not dig out this spot. He is a single guy with no kids to schlep.
He drives a Mustang.
My first inclination was to simply go and claim
the cone as my own. People leave couches and
tables out for reclamation all of the time here.
But, as I unfolded my plan to listening ears I was
prevailed upon to leave the cone. After all, I don't know this man
and if he happened upon me in my jammies, dragging his cone to
it's doom, he might feel inclined to retaliate.
Then I would have to duel with him and he would meet
his ultimate demise. I can't have that on my conscience.
So, for the mean time, while I am attempting to growing a pair so I can go out
and put my own sign on his cone, I would like to offer him thanks for re-awakening
my dormant passion for justice.
Hopefully, he doesn't pay too dearly for it.


3 comments:
I saw the sign today. It's says "this spot is unavailable till 3:30." Which doesn't make sense because he's going to park there. It will never be available.
Dumb and a jerk. Good combo.
If you ever suggest that you heard this from me, then I would of course deny it, but perhaps if this item is being stowed in his vehicle, or coming in direct contact with it, then perhaps a good dose of vaseline, or syrup, or some other sticky device coating the cone may "accidently" find its way all over him or his vehicle. Which would of course...be tragic.
It really would be a crying shame.
Post a Comment