8.02.2011

Afterbirth


No, I won't be showing you a picture of my
PLACENTA.

But I feel that now is the time to tell you my tale.
You will be glad.
No, it's not the birth story.
You don't want to hear that and I don't want to tell it. 
The story that I am going to unfold to you is what happened after the birth of my sweet Nashy, Nash face, Nash-a-roo.

So there I was.
3:45 am
I had given birth to my second baby boy approximately 14 hours earlier.  I was depleted, famished, exhausted, and finally, finally, asleep.  I had been out for  an hour or so when the night time nurse came bursting through the door with my screaming newborn.  "Time to feed your baby!"
I was ripped from the kind of sleep that you only experience hours after childbirth. The kind when you have exhausted every faculty you possess or when you have a severe case of mononucleosis.

She handed the baby off to me and was out the door quicker than a one legged... well... it was pretty quick. I didn't even have enough time to dislodge my request that she turn on the nightlight.  

I quickly began to nurse the screaming newborn because he was really crying.  In fact, I had never actually heard him cry like that.  Had I?  I mean, he cried when he was born.  It didn't sound like that though. He must be really hungry. Hmmm.

{LATCH}
Wow! My kid is latching like a pro! You would think he was at least of couple of days old with how well he is latching.  And in the dark. Well, I guess we won't have any problems there. Hmmm.

{nursing continues for approximately 40 minutes}

All done.  
I called the nurse to come take him back to the nursery so I could get a little bit more sleep.
She comes in and explains that she is going to keep the baby for a few hours because the doctor wants to run a blood test for his bilirubin. 
"Kay", I said.
"Let me know how it goes".

I start to relax and collapse back into my slumber when the nurse opens the door.  "Well that was quick", I thought.  The nurse had a very serious, almost ill look about her.  
She started reading Nash's I.D. Number to compare it with mine (which she had neglected to do an hour earlier).
"yep, that's it", I said.

"Oh, I have made a terrible mistake", she said.
"You fed the wrong baby. I brought you the wrong baby before."

Um.....

The story goes on to include blood tests for rare diseases, crying nurses, multiple apologies, ya know, the typical protocol when someone breast-feeds a complete strangers baby.  I being the "someone".

I had to deal with my own series of emotions on this matter.
Number one: humiliation.  Don't I know what my own child looks like? No, apparently not. Especially when they are all wrapped in the same blanket with the same hat on and I am so disoriented I couldn't have even spelled my name correctly. 
I am over the embarrassment now. It wasn't my fault.

The other mother was understandably livid.
I told the nurses to tell her to come in a meet me if she wanted. 
Oh, if she only knew that her baby will probably have super powers that her other children will never possess.  Years from now they will discover it was my precious colostrum that fertilized his astounding intellect and his strikingly hansom features. In fact, I think she owes me a "thank you" card.
 Kenny said it would make a good comic book story.  

*In case you are wondering, Nash was not flung carelessly into the arms of another woman.

And finally, a picture of my two boys making the same face right after they were born.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Onr for the books for sure!!!!

Lisa said...

I firmly believe you could win awards with that story.

Mindy Gledhill said...

Ha!!!! This is the best story I have heard in ages. I love you Jess. I hope you're adjusting well to life with two little dudes. I know how draining it can be right at first. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I followed Mindy Gledhill's tweet here because it sounded so intriguing. And WHAT A STORY. Absolutely not your fault, not one bit.

Were you more happy that the baby got your milk going for you, or mad that it stole YOUR baby's precious colostrum?

One time I walked into the NICU to see my baby who'd been brought in there to get a glucose I.V. put in, and headed straight for the bassinet where I thought my son was. The nurse steered me the other way and then I was embarrassed because the first baby looked *nothing* like my son.

Anyway, congrats on your new baby!

Suzanne C said...

holy breast milk! whew! Glad it turned out okay!

Natalie said...

That is crazy. I would just be ticked that I wasted my precious colostrum on somebody else's (substitute your noun of choice here. Mine wasn't very nice.) I'd be ticked enough to refuse to take any blood tests, etc. It's their problem.

Cutest matching pictures ever. I love the same matching cry. Congratulations on a beautiful baby. Hope you're feeling well.

~Christine~ said...

Awesome story! Glad it turned out ok. Wow! Love the pics of your two sons!

Unknown said...

It would indeed make an amazing comic book story. I'm sure one of us has a friend who could illustrate it.

And, btw, myimaginaryblog is my cousin. Small freakin world.

Amanda P said...

Jessica! Yes, I agree with the others that this is the best birth story ever, and very well written. Someday when life has calmed a bit for you, I would love to learn this nurse's name to see if she too was my nurse. I also completely agree with you that it was not your fault. Mike tried to retrieve our little Asher from the nursery one morning just to learn that he was in error.

Elise said...

I just about died laughing.

Didn't something like that happen on The Office? Your life is like T.V.! ;)

Errolyn said...

Yes, I was thinking The Office, too! What a crazy story! Congrats!!